Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Think Pink

For a minute this morning I thought I needed to get my eyes checked.  I reached into the mailbox to get the morning newspaper and it looked strange. 

As I pulled it out I noticed it was PINK.  Yes, I said pink.  Not the type - the paper.  As I read the front page I learned that it was in honor of October as Breast Cancer Awareness month.

I have to admit, it looked kind of cool.  And it was a good reminder for every woman to get their mammogram.   Coincidentally mine is scheduled for tomorrow.   About 7 years ago a rountine mammogram detected early breast cancer in Mom.  She was lucky.

It's not my favorite thing, but it's not the worst thing either.  I found this on the internet today and figured if you have to get your "girls" squished in a vice - you might as well find something amusing about it

Many women are afraid of their first mammogram, but
there is no need to worry. By taking a few minutes each
day for a week preceding the exam and doing the following
practice exercises, you will be totally prepared for the
test, and best of all, you can do these simple practice
exercises right in your home

Exercise 1:
Open your refrigerator door and insert one breast
between the door and the main box. Have one of your strongest
friends slam the door shut as hard as possible and lean on the
door for good measure. Hold that position for five seconds.
Repeat again in case the first time wasn't effective enough.

Exercise 2:
Visit your garage at 3 AM when the temperature of
the cement floor is just perfect.
Take off all your clothes and lie comfortably on the
floor with one breast wedged under the rear tire of the car.
Ask a friend to slowly back the car up until your breast is
sufficiently flattened and chilled. Turn over and repeat for
the other breast.

Exercise 3:
Invite a stranger into the room. Press the bookends
against one of your breasts. Smash the bookends together as
hard as you can. Set an appointment with the stranger to meet
next year and do it again.
Exercise 4
imagine



Don't forget Ladies - Gram your Mammies

13 comments:

  1. I know it would hurt a lot if I actually looked down during the mammo, as I caught a quick side glance one year---mind over matter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny and about right!! But still ~ have those mammies grammed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA that was funny - GOOD LUCK tomorrow. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine is scheduled too. My mother and grandmother both had breast cancer. Such a small test...such an important diagnosis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After witnessing first hand what breast cancer can do physically as well as mentally, I happily endure my yearly mammogram. In my opinion the pros of a yearly mammogram out way the potential of a deadly outcome. Good luck tomorrow, think pink. Hugs, Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had mine done in Sept...and it did feel very much like exercise 1-3! Thanks for the good laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE THE HUMOR AND THANKS FOR THE REMINDER!
    A little discomfort can save your life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the one time when you truly don't mind the fact that your poor bosom is drooping down around your navel, flat as a pancake. There's not much more damage to be done that hasn't been accomplished by age and perhaps nursing a baby!

    Funny post...so accurate! I also love the fact that you can't wear deodorant that day...but you begin to sweat profusely during the exam with the stranger!
    I'm due soon. Going to the new primary care doc Monday...so I'll be headed to the mammogram soon afterwards. My mom is a breast cancer survivor. It's super important to go...despite the steamroller!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kim, I had mine last week and guess what they gave me a pink rose! I have had several friends have breast cancer and anytime your in a group of ladies look around and you realize there is at least one person who has battled it.Love your humorous story!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kim ~
    Those exercises always make me laugh.
    Thank you for taking the time to give everyone a gentle nudge. I am religious in getting mine. I've had a couple biopsies but thankfully always benign!
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that is so funny. All you get to look forward too tomorrow.
    Very funny cartoons. I hope it isn't cold. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great reminder! I can tell you are such a caretaker already! Thanks for stopping by my blog too! I loved your sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved this Miss Kim....I think I hold the world record (or at least a record in Nod) for the longest mammogram appointment - 5-3/4ths hours....NOT fun!!! My dr has now said it's accepted practice to only have them once every 2 years. Yeah - I'm going with that..... Happy squishing! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete