Saturday, October 29, 2011

Small town blessings

There are so many wonderful things about living in a small town.  And my particular small town is pretty special.

As you know, it is not the spot on a map that makes a community - it is the people that make a place special.

This week we had an opportunity to be reminded of the great people who call this place home.  A very special Flash Mob happened the other day. 

Our local elementary school Principal  has been battling cancer for the past year and a half.   He is not only a wonderful educator, adored by children and parents alike, he is a friend of mine.

The schools Physical Education teacher is a cancer survivor and developed this idea.  He has been working with all the kids in the school all year, learning the words to the song "I Believe" and choreographing some dance moves. 

Thursday, the entire school - about 600 students, teachers and parents walked to Mr. Kelly's house and performed a Flash  Mob on his lawn.  He was able to come out on the front porch to watch.  I don't think there was a dry eye from anyone who witnessed this.  Many of the children held signs that said "Believe"  "We love you Mr. Kelly" etc.   There are multiple videos of this posted on facebook.  I cannot watch them without crying.  I am so proud of these people.  

This is just another example of what makes my small town so special.

I did try to post the video from my facebook  page to here but after several failed attempts I gave up.  I wish I could share it with you.

14 comments:

  1. That's so nice. I'm sure I'd cry if I saw the video too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kindness of others is what makes this Life go around. Have a good weekend! Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a wonderful, positive gift for Mr. Kelly. To know that your community is thinking of you and cheering for you has to be a priceless feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a feel good moment. What a lovely thing for those kids to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim ~
    Wow. There are tears in my eyes just from reading about it and I've not seen the video. I'll have to try to find your facebook page. I am facebook stupid and almost never log on, but for this I will try.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. Living in a small community has it's blessings! This is one good example and so good for the kids too! They will never forget it!
    What a great tribute to a special teacher!
    Hugs!
    Cathy G

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful thing to do...and I'm sure he has no doubt that he is loved and has many "angels" on his side. Sometimes I miss the big city, but you are so right about living in a small town..everybody knows everyone and is willing to share the help and the love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is uplifting to read about something so giving and from such a large group. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. How upliting, your friend sounds like a wonderful man and I bet if the roles were reversed he would be the one heading something wonderful and beneicial like this up. It's snowing, hugs from Maine, Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet thing for the Principal. It does sound like you live in a very nice town. Just the things you have shared always make me cry and smile.
    I will track the video down.
    I hope you are having a wonderful Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely ditto on what Lauren said....But first I have to stock up on the tissue supply - I didn't even get through this post without tearing up.....Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just happened to be walking by and saw them all. It was one of the most moving things I have seen. So beautiful, the lawn full of singing children.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful heart warming story to read on this cold wet snowy day. Your little town is so very special just like the people who lives there.

    This is very therapeutic for Mr Kelly and for the kids too. I hope that this video goes viral. I can't wait to see it. Thanks for sharing this great story with us.

    Keep warm and safe. Hugs to you and Millie. Julia from Of Petals and Wool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kim: That's just the most wonderful thing I've heard in ages. Too bad we don't get to hear about these things on the news at night instead of all the awful things! XXXX

    ReplyDelete