Sunday, October 16, 2011

Getting reacquainted with my kitchen

I managed to get lots of rest this weekend.  I stayed in bed late both days.  Thank you for all your messages on my last post.  When I get tired I guess I get whiney.   So I took the advice and slowed down.  However, too much of doing nothing kind of gets on my nerves. 

I seemed to be drawn back to the kitchen.  I guess its true that when you are not feeling quite yourself you crave comfort foods. 

It wasn't so much that I was craving certain foods, but I have been so slack with the meals lately.  There has been a lot of toaster waffles and sandwiches lately.

So when I got home Friday night I re-introduced myself to the kitchen appliances.  I think they missed me :)   Friday's supper was stuffed chicken breast, brown rice and sauteed brussel sprouts.  The sprouts are not my favorite veggies but I had them so I cooked them.  I cooked them like Dr. Oz recommended and they kind of carmelized in the pan.  Not bad but normally I prefer them drowned in some kind of sauce.

Yesterday was coconut rice pudding (my favorite), beef and scalloped potatoes.  This morning I opened the freezer and the pie crusts were still in there.  Remember the apple pie that never was??  Those stupid pie crusts were mocking me so I made a quiche. 

I told Mom that I was making quiche for lunch and she curled up her face and announced "NO, I don't like that."   Well, it was already in the oven.  When we sat down to eat I told her it was Breakfast Pie.  She ate it and loved it.  I guess it's all in how you present it.  Lol  I also use this trick with yogurt - I tell her it is melted ice cream and she eats it.   Tricky but effective.  She can't afford to lose anymore weight so sometimes I have to be sneaky.
It was pretty good, if I do say so myself.  I used asparagus, mushroom and bacon with a blend of smokey cheddar and swiss cheese.

For tonight I have a pork tenderloin in the oven.  I feel like I am running out of meal ideas lately.  Does this ever happen to you?  You just get bored with the same old stuff all the time?

I think I need to learn to make more casserole type things.  It is not something we ever had here when I was growing up.  We were a meat and potatoes house.  My grandmother never made casseroles and neither did Mom.   I've been looking up lots of different recipes.  Next weekend might be a casserole weekend.   Any suggestions ?  What is your favorite casserole ? 
 

17 comments:

  1. Hi Kim, It must be in air I slept in .I was tired! Mennonite girls can cook is where I look for ideas. Enchilada's
    That is my idea of a casserole.Lol
    I use to try to make enchilada sauce but my hubby just likes the enchilada sauce out of package. cheese Enchilada's corn and a salad.hUgs Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kim, your quiche looks wonderful. I would eat it no problem.
    I am making Chicken Divan next week. It is a casserole. If you want I can email you the recipe. I fix things like Lasagna sometimes. I don't fix casseroles like used to but I do sometimes if I am going to have a busy week.
    I do hope we get cooler weather soon because I want things like potato soup and clam chowder.
    I bet you can make wonderful clam chowder living where you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd LOVE a piece of breakfast pie! :-) I haven't had quiche in a real long time... I've heard that brussel sprouts are less bitter when cooked in the microwave.... I like mine cut in half and sauteed in butter and garlic... you certainly did a lot of cooking over the weekend... wish I could help with the casseroles... but I don't usually make them as I haven't found any good recipes for them... I did see one on the back of the stuffing box that is stuffing and leftover turkey that looked good...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you rested up, girl! I'm one who likes to be on the go too, but sometimes we just have to give it up. I made quiche today too! Actually, I made soup and quiche...soup's still cooking. I got some fresh eggs from a co-worker and I love them in quiche. I didn't even leave the house once today and it was so great! Have a good week!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kim, I'm so glad that you slept in and rested enough to step into your kitchen to bake and cook.

    You quiche looks so good no wonder your mom ate it.

    I too run out of ideas for quick meals but I made a nice se food chowder for supper. So yummy.

    Have a restful evening. Hugs. JB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, I too get bogged down when it comes to our evening meals. Now that cool weather has arrived I have been making soups and stews. Both my husband and now grown sons would never dream of eating a casserole. There are times when I thicken up a stew and serve it over egg noodles, mashed potato, or rice. I must say your menu sounds quite inticing and the quiche looks delicious. Have a great week, Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so hard always trying to think up nourishing food. A favorite casserole of ours is baked ziti and sausages. You can make your own spaghetti sauce or used jar sauce. It re-heats really well in a non-stick frying pan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. EWWWWW....Brussel sprouts, really??!! Me no likey. And, uhmmm, "coconut rice pudding?" You all eat kinda funny up there.....But I DO LOVE casseroles!!! One of my absolutelest favorites!! And I have TONS of recipes....You just tell me what sounds good to you and I'll dig ya one up.....Some of our family favorites are: Beef Pastitsio (FAV!!); Marzetti; Cabbage and rice; Baked Zita; Linguini and clams; Chicken Rice Hotdish; Cauliflower hotdish; Tuna noodle; Taco Hotdish; Tator tot (yeah I know...boo hoo); Oh man....I could go on and on and on....I LOVE casseroles! (And soups...and quiche...and dessert...) Yeah...I might be loving food too much....

    Wishing you a wonderful week ahead....Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you got some rest and you sure did wake up those appliances! Everything sounded really yummy too. I love brussel sprouts and the quiche looks great. The ingredients were are sure hit! Casseroles? I'm not a big fan of them, but I do make them for Jack..his fav? The oldest one in the book I think...tuna casserole. Yep, the one with crumbled potato chips on top! Go figure! Me? Just pass a juicy steak to this carnivore lady!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the only casserole I had growing up was shepards pie. I don't make many myself not husbands favorite.
    love your menu though.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kim ~
    Can I come for dinner? No brussel sprouts for me. Your quiche looks yummy!
    Pug hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that quiche looks wonderful! I know exactly what you mean about having to say things 'just the right way' to my dad! We do what we have to do to accomplish the end result.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG, home made quiche and pork tenderloin in the same day? I'm moving in! Seriously, I am done, fini, with planning meals...I just hate it. I was thinking about casseroles lately also...they were once so popular, and such an easy thing to do...I'll look forward to seeing what recipes people recommend for you. I remember growing up with tuna and noodle casserole as a fav. Easy peasy. Good comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The kitchen is a place of comfort for me too! Your quiche looks just yummy!!! I'm sittng here salivating...and I just ate dinner!!! LOL!
    P.S. Hope you get some more much needed rest!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love to cook (most of the time anyway). I don't cook a lot of casseroles but I have one quiche-y recipe I just love. There's a lot of steps, but it's worth it. It's called Savory Skillet PIe and I got the recipe on the Williams Sonoma website. It's killer. I've also found so many good recipes on the Pioneer Woman blog (pionnerwoman.blogspot.com) - she has comfort food down to a fine art!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's getting to be that time of year when I start getting interested in really cooking again. Summer is just too hot for the kitchen appliances, so I am looking forward to some fun new ideas.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you really needed the extra rest Kim. I am glad you got back into the kitchen and fixed this yummy looking meal. I love that you were able to get your mom to try it and like it. Bless her heart and yours.
    I too have not been cooking right which means eating right. Maybe together we can get back into the healthy way of cooking
    Love ya
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete