Sunday, September 20, 2009

In the words of Nike, sometimes you gotta "Just Do It"

I can't put it off any longer. This is one of those cases where thinking about it and worrying about it is just a pointless exercise.

What I am referring to is the first square of the Monthly Reflections Rug. Its been almost a month, I think. I have the concept - I bought the wool - I planned (sort of) the square - I drew the the grids - and for weeks I have just been staring at the blank space.

Its so much pressure. Will this square relate to the others?? Will I be able to express the other 11 months with the color choices I have made?? What will next month's theme be?? Will I smother under this giant piece of burlap?? So many un-answered questions.

JUST DO IT!!! So I did. Yee haw!!!! Today I started hooking it. It felt like a giant relief. It seemed like a simple little task last month - 12 squares - 12 inches x 12 inches. Seriously - a 12 inch square seems really big to me right now! But the truth is - you just have to push away the fear and start with a few pieces of wool. It soon starts to take shape.

I am facing my fear of textures too - this square has felted wool, yarn, some beautiful ruby colored slub, and amazing silk ribbon. Deanne was right - I love it! Now before you all think I've gotten carried away with this texture thing - I'm still not going to put lettuce on a sandwich or come face to face with a clown anytime soon.......but a little silk ribbon is OK. Baby steps eh!! LOL

Here is a little sneak peek. Remember - this is a work in progress at a very, very early stage.........
Now, I'm guessing that nobody can figure out what its going to be yet. Unless you are very familiar with my local geographic area.......(thats a hint)! Don't worry, hopefully soon it may take on a recognizable image.
More to come soon!
Kim

5 comments:

  1. I'll try to guess your cottage? I'm guessing the pink tones are going to be a flower patch. I'll try again next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim

    Something from the bay of fundy? Anyway, I hope to be going through Amherst during the day so I can stop at Deanne's store. My luck it will be too late!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are both wrong. It will (hopefully) be clear soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Kim this looks AMAZING. I can't wait to see the block finished. I have to order my linen and get going on my block. It came to me what I am going to do - finally!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors!! You're right! Just do it! I am going to "just do it" this week! Thanks for the sneak peek! Can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete