Wednesday, April 6, 2011
verb, -pat·ed, -pat·ing.
–verb (used with object)
1. to realize beforehand; foretaste or foresee: to anticipate pleasure.
2. to expect; look forward to; be sure of: to anticipate a favorable decision.
3. to perform (an action) before another has had time to act.
4. to answer (a question), obey (a command), or satisfy (a request) before it is made: He anticipated each of my orders.
5. to nullify, prevent, or forestall by taking countermeasures in advance: to anticipate a military attack.
6. to consider or mention before the proper time: to anticipate more difficult questions.
7. to be before (another) in doing, thinking, achieving, etc.: Many modern inventions were anticipated by Leonardo da Vinci.
8. Finance . (a. to expend (funds) before they are legitimately available for use.
b. to discharge (an obligation) before it is due.
–verb (used without object)
9. to think, speak, act, or feel an emotional response in advance.
Yesterday it was plus 11 degrees and then it rained. So virtually all the dirty crusty old snow has disappeared. I anticipate road trips with the camera to get that perfect spring image.
I am also anticipating that our annual operating budget will be passed soon so we can get on with business. I am REALLY anticipating getting approvals to proceed with the hiring of our summer students in the next month. Mainly because I am sick to death of parents calling me "daily" to give their kid a job. Here's a hint people.......send the student in themselves so I can see that they are ambitious and want to work. (Arrgh, sorry had to get that rant in there) Oh, and P.S. stop bugging me at the grocery store. You see me there every week and barely nod but come April I'm your favorite person. I'm not stupid !
I also anticipate the Easter weekend coming soon. Since Easter is later this year, the darn easter candy has been in the stores since February 15th and I am sick of eating it. (yes, I know....self control. Well I don't have any !)
Speaking of no self control, I am anticipating a call from the accountant any minute telling me our taxes are done - so I can see how much wool I can buy. (hehehe Watch me jinx it and end up owing money!)
What are you anticipating this time of year?