Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Irish Blessings


Happy St. Patrick's Day to you all.  I hope you're all proudly wearing something green today.  This day was my Mother's favorite day.  She embraced her irish heritage. Lord help you if you arrived at her house on March 17th and we're not wearing green.  She got this Irish pride from her father.  He was a great old guy who could sing those Irish songs like a pro.  When I was young he used to joke about me promising he have a traditional Irish wake.  Ironically, his funeral was held on March 17th.  Pure coincidence most likely but I like to think he planned it that way.  Just in case you are wondering, we did not prop him up in the corner but it was talked about a lot that day.  I think if his brothers weren't a little afraid of Mom and Auntie, they might have tried ;)

I was invited out for a traditional feast of green beer and cabbage rolls but since I'm still coughing like a tuberculosis victim, I decided to pass.   Who would want to eat next to a barking germ bag?  I came home and made myself some potato pancakes


And for dessert......a special delivery treat from a lovely leprechaun friend.


Brownie, pistachio, whipped cream trifle with a mint chocolate stick for garnish.   OMG.....so tasty.

It's hard not to think of my Mom today.  I'm sure she is having a grand celebration in heaven and her and Grandpa and singing together.




15 comments:

  1. LOLOLOL .....barking germ bag?? EWWWWWW :) Happy St Patrick's Day to you. Looks like you had a good one. Pancakes and the trifle look yummy.

    PINCH!! If you are not wearing green at this moment. lol Silly me.

    Take care and stay warm. Janet W

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure mom and grandpa are having a grand old time!!! Great story about your grandpa.
    Happy St. Patty's Day to you :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your memories and the tradition they stand by. That dessert looks delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. barking germ bag? I have never heard that expression but I can remember times I have felt just like that, lol... MMMMMMMMM I am making potato pancakes tomorrow nite, I haven't had them in soooooo long.... yum....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the stories of your Irish heritage.
    Those potato cakes look yummy. If I had to make a choice, I'd choose them over the dessert. But both is the best of everything.
    Happy St. Patrick's Day!
    No Bailey's???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even this Greek girl has on green today! I'm betting an Irish wake is about as crazy as a Greek one! That dessert looks really yummy. Hooray for good friends who bring goodies. I hope you're feeling better soon. Happy St. Patrick's day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, I didn't realize you weren't feeling well. Good for you keeping the traditions even when not feeling so good! Here's to rainbows, butterflies, shamrocks and pots of gold in the days ahead!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy St. Patrick's Day Kim...I glad to hear your health is improving, this has been one tough winter...As I type the snow is falling and the wind is howling...I do believe if there is an Irish pot of gold is buried under ten feet of snow...Now, that is my kind of dessert, yummy!!! Feel well, the sun is to shine tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending Happy St. Patrick's Day wishes to you, though the day is almost coming to a close. I'm also sending healthy vibes your way for your speedy, complete recovery! Love potato pancakes here! Great dessert! xo Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was a little girl one of my friends was a daughter of a funeral director. I would some times walk up the funeral home driveway to get to her house in the back and one time a true Irish funeral was going on once. I must of been 11 or 12 and I thought how much fun they were all having. There was lots of singing going on I could not see the casket so not sure if he was propped up in the corner. I had stuffed cabbage I love it David not so much. Your dessert looks so yummy. I hope your cough doesn't hang on like ours have.
    we are very cold so stay warm
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a second generation Canadian, with grandparents born in Ireland, I can relate! My great grandfather was born on the 17th of March, married and died on 17th March. Wonder what his wake was like. Erin go bragh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful story of your mom and grandpa. I'll bet he did plan it that way. Sorry you are still under the weather, but bet you enjoyed those potato cakes. I used to love to make them and it has been a long time since I've indulged.
    Saundra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry I'm late commenting, I spent the day mostly in bed the last couple of day.
    And sorry you're not well either. Happy Belated St Patrick Day. Love the memories of great traditions from your mom and grandpa...

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry you are not feeling well. The yummy food will help.
    Nice memories!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so glad you had a nice day with nice memories.
    I think we could be neighbors in that T.B. ward.
    I hope you get well soon.

    ReplyDelete