Thursday, March 12, 2015

A week to forget


I have to say, the winter of 2015 will be hard to forget.  My sad tale of woe starts last Friday.  I ended up leaving work early with flu symptoms.  If only I had known, that was only the beginning..... Coughing, nauseous, stuffy and dizzy.  Went to bed and woke early Saturday morning and felt.....funny.   I was itchy.  I reached around to scratch my back and it was covered in welts.  Back, neck, head.....

I knew that wasn't good so I headed to the ER.  I was having a bad allergic reaction to something.  Still don't know what.  They quickly gave me Benadryl and steroids and I wasn't allowed to leave for several hours.  After a few hours the welts started to subside and the itching was to a point I didn't want to shred my own skin.   The doctor also determined I had a chest infection/flu on top of it.   He sent me off with 3 prescriptions, one of which was more steroids.  

You'd think this would be a point where things would turn around......  Nope, I had a wicked side effect from the steroids. (I'll spare you those details.  You're welcome). By Tuesday I couldn't take it any more and stopped the steroid and by the next day I had some improvement with "the side effect" but by this point I was so weak and exhausted, I was useless.  

Now it's Wednesday and outside temperature was on the rise.  I went to the kitchen and in the new hooking nook area at the back, there was a big spot on the carpet.  Looked up and caught a drip in the eye.  So now there is an ice dam on the back roof and my kitchen was leaking 


Soon it was leaking in 2 spots.  All damn day!  I called my cousin and he was tied up on another job but promised to come today and shovel the roof.  Good to his word, he arrived first thing this morning. The cavalry had arrived!!


He was scooping snow off the roof and throwing it on the walkway.  I just assumed there wasn't much up there.  I was wrong.  He was up there a long time so I looked out the back door.  The door, the entire walkway was jammed with snow and ice from the roof.  The door was blocked in.   So eventually he climbed down and realized it was a problem.   Then I saw him drive away.  I knew he wouldn't leave me like that.....would he??  About a half hour later he arrived back with a snow blower.  He was here 3 and 1/2 hours in total.  Poor guy.  But at least the roof is no longer leaking. My hero.  

The good news is today I did get my appetite back and feel a bit stronger.  I may even try to get to work tomorrow.  It will be nice to get some fresh air and out of this house.   


18 comments:

  1. Ahh, Kim, the joys of home ownership? Hope your feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On boy Kim, sure hope you feel better real soon, fresh air is good...Always something happening house wise it seems. Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was about to send you an email to see how you were but I've been busy today until now....

    I'm glad you're feeling better. You're having a wicked time this winter. I hope that things will get better for you starting now.

    Last week I felt light headed, chills and a wicked headache for two days. The next morning I woke up with welts on my legs and under my feet, on my neck and back. I toke the last of the Benadryl and it went away. I have no clue what it was but I know I didn't eat anything unusual.

    My husband had the same symptoms when I was in Ottawa but he didn't get the welts.

    Luck you had a cousin to help you.

    Spring is on the way and although we still have mountains of snow the daffodils are pushing out in the corner by the house next to 4 feet of snow.

    Take care.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! I have been wondering about you and praying everything was ok. Gosh, what a time you have had. I'm glad you are starting to feel better.
    As long as people are sharing....the other day this weird thing happened. At 5am i was feeling nauseous and in the bathroom for another fun thing. Then all day I felt weird. And at 2pm my belly did a somersault (sp) and I threw up x3 and it was like water. Clear no taste no smell just water. And I had not had anything to eat or drink since dinner the night before. Very weird.

    Ok I hope that isn't TMI. Some strange stuff going around out there. I am fine now. Just very very busy.

    Anyway, take care get good rest.
    Janet W Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an ordeal! I am glad you are feeling improved at this point and that the leaking roof has been taken care of by your cousin. It sounds like it is helpful to have relatives.:) xo Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about all the troubles and glad you are starting to improve. Wonderful that you have family to come help. It has been a terrible winter for you. Spring will be all the sweeter. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! Why must you be such an overachiever in the reaction department? You poor thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you are on the mend I was worried about you! So glad you had someone help you with the roof.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are finally feeling better and also sorry you had to endure such worrisome problems during feeling bad. Hopefully you're on the mend and able to have a glass of vino over the weekend and laugh the snow and ice away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sods Law that when your not at your best, something else comes to hassle your health!
    They do say bad luck come sin threes so am hopeful youll now get a stretch of stress free days!
    My daughter as a child came out in large paisley shaped welts (! I know paisley shaped honestly, but scarily in her throat and her lips ballooned out) and they reckoned she had been allergic to the (banana) colourings used in the amoxicillin medicine.
    I hope Spring brings some kinder weather and refreshing breaks

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not a doctor but I can diagnose this...you're allergic to winter. I hope you're feeling better and hopefully spring will arrive soon. I'd write a prescription for that but like I said, I'm no doctor! Take care Kim and have a good weekend....You sure deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Millie, I have never left a comment, but your blog post demanded one! Wow! Winter can be so horrible in so many ways. You got slammed with the domino effect! Spring has to be better. Hang in there.Blessings, Lee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yikes! You have had a bad week! Glad you are feeling better and that the ceiling leak is resolved. I hope it melts soon. We've had some spring temps so all our snow is gone. Temps are going to drop again but at least our snow us gone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no Kim.....sounds like you clearly had the week from HELL! I sure hope you'll feel better real soon....after all the sun has been shining and you'lol need that extra vitamin c. Glad to hear that you have a trusty fellow that can help out with your roof.....that sucks to have leaks like that. I was wondering what was going on that I had not seen any posts from you. Happy to have you back girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kim,
    By now I hope you are all better and you could enjoy your weekend.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Kim, you have certainly had your share of woes! Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That must’ve been a rough few days for you. Good thing your cousin was there to help, so you won’t have to in that state. Anyway, I hope that you guys were able to fix the leak soon after. I hope you’re having a great day!

    Terence Warner @ Brunwin Roofing

    ReplyDelete
  18. I’m sorry to hear about your allergy incident. It’s quite frustrating whenever allergic reactions appear, and you’re not aware of the cause. Anyhow, how are things doing with your roof now? I hope you’re not encountering any leaks anymore. Have a great day, Kim!


    Pleasance Faast @ Shelton Roofing

    ReplyDelete