Sunday, January 8, 2012

Women


This was the 2nd rug I hooked several years ago.  It is a Deanne Fitzpatrick design - Coastal Girls.  I loved this pattern as soon as I saw it.  Having grown up along the Coast and being surrounded by some incredible women, I loved what this rug expressed.  This rug resides beside my bed.  It is the last thing I see at night and the first thing I step on in the morning.   As soon as I got up this morning, I knew how this post would develop.

It has been several days since I blogged.  There has been a lot going on - some good and some not so good.  But in all of it I experienced some extraordinary women.   There was an evening of laughter.  I sat and looked around at this particular group of women - all different in ages, personality, background etc however all extremely accomplished in their own lives.   It was an experience I am happy I allowed myself to participate in.  I am learning a lot about myself in the past few years.  I am more open to new experiences, to stepping outside of my comfort zone.  That is perhaps one of the things that struck me this weekend - the confidence and openness of women.

The other spectrum of the weekend involved laughter and tears.  I spent some time with a friend who was facing a different type of personal challenge.  Sometimes, through no fault of our own, we find ourselves at a crossroads.  And sometimes neither option is appealing. There are times when you get caught up in someone elses "Bat-Shit Crazy".   Over the past couple of days, we have had several conversations and I had tried to encourage the high road. 

I was so proud of her for chosing quiet dignity as opposed to a few moments of satisfaction.  We all know that sometimes the desire to "stick-it-to-someone" can be strong and alluring but it doesn't last.   It was just another reminder of the strength and power of women in our daily lives. 

Take some time to look around and appreciate the women in your lives.  You will see strength, kindness, support, generosity, compassion, knowledge, and leadership.  Surround yourself with good people and good things will follow.

17 comments:

  1. Such a good post! I had dinner with a dear friend last night. She has seen me through several very rough times. I'm so glad to have her in my life, still...despite all the changing we do, and all the moving around I've had.
    Have a lovely day! I love your rug too! ;-)
    Hugs,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN. I have certainly had my fair share of weird women friends over the years, but at the end of the day, it's my good women friends who are the ones that I know I can count on when needed, above and beyond everyone else. PS Love your mat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim,
    I love how your rug of joyous women is kept beside your bed and greets the start and end of your day!
    Great post and your friends who confide in you are the luckiest women!
    Bless your heart for being there for all the women in your life....... B*S* crazy or not!!
    Hugs!
    Cathy G

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim ~
    I can't believe that is the second rug you ever hooked. Very impressive!
    What a great post! Those women are lucky to call you friend.
    Time to get off this darned machine and un-decorate some more!
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice post Kim, I like what you said, and yes, It is all true.
    I like your rug, I have seen that pattern before. I had no idea you ever did it.
    Yes, I would say you have been growing very much in the last few years I have known you and you I think are very remarkable too.
    I have been so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your women rug is beautiful, what a good job you did. I too am fortunate to have several good women friends. They add so much to my life, and keep me on the straight and narrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post, Kim!
    As a young person I was too involved in my own life to have many women friends. As I grew older, they became the kind of support system that men (husbands) just aren't capable of. I thank the powers that be every day for my women friends. You are lucky to learn their value at a younger age.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great insightful and introspective post Kimmers.....I agree - there are some truly remarkable women out there - and so much to learn and absorb from them. I love your DF rug! I've seen the original in my Rug Hooking Celebrations books (I think that's where...) I don't know what amazes me more though - that you hooked it (and so amazingly well) as a second rug (people are challenging to hook!) or that you actually put it on your floor and step on it...YIKES! Wishing you a wonderful week ahead....Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here here...and I love that rug!

    ReplyDelete
  10. For sure, women friends are huge in my life and I appreciate them greatly!! Laughter with friends is absolutely the BEST!!
    To have a friend that listens when you are in distress is phenomenal and it sounds like you were that kind of friend. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS...love your beautiful rug!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's fitting that I post right behind my good woman friend Donna. We share life happy times, work stress times, and sad times too. It's great to be able to share with a good friend. I work with great woman at the hospital and through my church and I count my Sister as one of my best buddies and inspirations. I have been amazed at the great ladies I've met through blogging. It's a surprise that I never knew would happen. Have a great week...you're one of the great ladies I consider a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kim I love your rug with Coastal Girls! How fun!! A beautiful post Kim. Amen amen to taking the high road.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kim, That is a wonderful post and rug. My girlfriends are a great source of wisdom. I lean on them at times to give me advice when sometimes I am too close to the problem.That rug says it all! Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kim, what a powerful post. I feel so good being a woman as opposed to when I was younger. I was always looking on the side of how fortunate and free the men's world was, but now I know that we are STRONGER.

    I admire you very much for many things my friend but also for your talent at hooking. That rug rock. JB

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post Kim. I know she appreciates your friendship
    I know I do
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete