Saturday, May 1, 2010

Never a dull moment


Its been quite a week. The wild-eyed craziness started Monday. Mondays are my long days at work - arriving just after 8am and not getting home until a few minutes to 9pm after a Council meeting. I barely got changed into some comfy clothes and settled on the sofa when the phone started ringing.


Here we go...................... It is Margaret's brother from Alberta. (Margaret is a friend of my Mom's with no family nearby, so we look out for her) He says he just called her on the phone and something is terribly wrong. So I head out at 9:30pm with my emergency key to check it out. Things were not good. I was alone and she is not a small woman, but I managed to dress her and get her into the car. No easy feat, I might add. Confused, fever, trouble breathing and responding to commands. Oh my nerves! It was 1am before I left the hospital and they admitted her. Her son is a few hours away and was on the road.


The drama continued the next few days - cardiac arrest at 3am Wednesday, temp. pacemaker by 3:30am and permanent pacemaker implanted Friday. Whew! I checked on her this afternoon and some crazy doctor (who looked about 18 years old) was talking about releasing her! WELL, I went all crazy eyed and psycho on the little twit. Geez, this woman is 78 years old, lives alone in a 2 story house, is still on a catheter, still spiking a fever at least once a day, and her heart stopped 3 days ago........ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME ???

By the time I left there was no talk of release for the time being but I'm sure I could have blown up the blood pressure machine if they had hooked me up.

There is one tiny bit if humour in this. When I got Marg to the hospital Mon. night I looked down as I was trying to get her in the wheelchair and I had dressed her with one shoe and one slipper - BOTH LEFT FEET. OMG........

6 comments:

  1. Bless your heart Kim! Had it not been for you your friend would probably not be with us! Can you stand it.......those Dr.s are always trying to send people home before they are able! Good for you to stand your ground. I hope she continues to get better! Too funny the shoe thing......a good laugh can help during times like that! Take care of yourself too and hopefully your weekend will be a little less stressful! Hugs!! Cathy G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes in a very subtle way we need to remind doctors that they are not God! Not. Your are a very good friend indeed, I would like to have seen your face when you realized what you were wearing on your feet! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fortunate she was to have you looking after her. I love how your sense of humor shines through your posts. This was my first visit to your blog, but I plan to stop by more often. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you got a CAT !!! That is quite the story, mine are not really fit for public blogs this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're a very good person to do that for a friend! And we'd all be crazy if we didn't laugh!!

    ReplyDelete