Wednesday, September 23, 2015

I never learn.....

I'm not a good baker.  There is a countless string of kitchen baking disasters behind me, yet I refuse to give up.  I don't know why I'm so stupid.   Cooking is different, you can make a mistake but throw in some extra water or seasonings and generally save a meal.  But all the precision around baking is too much for me.    I saw a recipe on Facebook that sounded too good to resist - cinnamon swirl banana bread.  Last week I went in search of over ripe bananas.  There is always a basket of them somewhere.  Naturally the entire town was full of green bananas.  Sigh....  So I have patiently waited almost a week for those darn bananas to ripen.  Tonight was the night.   I dirtied every dish in the house (as I always do)
Then I entered the time on the timer.  (This is where it all starts to fall apart). I tossed the pan in the oven and proceeded to clean the kitchen, get the garbage out etc.  after puttering for awhile I decided to check the timer and see how many minutes were left.
I had entered the time but forgot to push START!  So now I had no idea how long it had been in the oven and how long left to leave it.  Arrrghhh  So here it is.
It looks good and smells great but there's a really good chance it's possibly half raw in the middle.  It still cooling so the verdict is still a mystery.  If it is halfway edible, I'll share the recipe in my next post.  But I may have to go looking for more bananas and try again.   In Fitbit news, I finally broke the 10,000 steps a day on Sunday, Monday and again today.  Woohoo!  

12 comments:

  1. Well it looks really good in the picture. I hope it turns out perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having an instant read cooking thermometer is the best way to tell if good is done. Baked goods are ready when the temp gets to 180-190. Great too for testing meat.
    Also you can use a wooden skewer or a toothpick for baked goods. If the wood comes out clean without any better sticking to it, it's done.
    Yes, baked goods are a scientific formula without much wiggle room.
    I'm glad you aren't giving up.
    Also remember that not every recipe you get off the internet is accurate so it might not always be you who have made the mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My typing skills get worse late in the evening. Not that they're good to begin with.
    Anyhow that was supposed to be batter sticking to the skewer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good let us know the verdict.

    And congrats on the 10000 steps. That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't give up I am sure it is going to be good. Good for you with the 10,000 steps. I am trying to walk each day even a little bit.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm betting that it's delish! Congrats on the 10,000 steps! I'm walking almost daily and plan on getting a fitbit that I can clip on because I can't wear any jewelry at work. I read your previous post...what a great post and I hope someday we'll have a cure. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kudos for not quitting like I would!
    Congrats on your 10k step successes.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for the 10,000 steps!! Congratulations!

    I have the same feeling about my baking skills...I just can't be as precise as baking calls for. If you can bake it, I can mess it up! I just put together my sourdough starter to use for bread. I use a bread machine, but have still be known to create a "lump" instead of a "loaf". Worse case, I use it for toast!! You use enough butter and honey, you can still eat it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAYYYYY for your 10,000 steps.!!

    Your bread looks yummy in the photo. I hope it does turn out good. I love banana bread.

    I'm crossing my fingers, toes, eyes and everything else for you. lol
    Take care, Janet W

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh looks yummy tome,I am not a baker but try sometimes.Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even if it is raw in the middle, ice cream or low-fat frozen yogurt can make it a very tasty treat. That is how I solve a lot of my baking dessert disasters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure it's very tasty and not raw in the middle. It looks perfect but I always give the toothpick test. If the batter doesn't stick to the toothpick, it's done.

    Congratulations on the 10,000 steps. Abby must be happy.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete