Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A hookers dilemma

I know that in my last post I mentioned that I was planning to take a bit of time off between my next hooking project.   But almost as soon as I said that,  I had an idea.  

I know you are thinking "Woo, alert the media - Kim had an idea"  LOL  It does happen every once in awhile.

When I want to hook something new I can never think of anything but as soon as I take a break........an idea appears out of nowhere.

I started this project the other night and now I think I need to change it.  But I'm going to see what you think first.   I wanted this to be darkish blue with the yellow.  The blue wool I had was dark but I thought it would still work.  However, it is so dark it is hooking up like black.


You know how much I hate to re-do something I have already hooked.  I went to Deanne's shop today to see if I could find another blue to try and work in to the project.   I was hoping to find a darkish blue plaid but didn't so I picked up some other blue. 

But now that I lay it all out on the floor I am having doubts.   I could remove the existing "blue-black" and replace with the blue.  (Groan)   The colors for the Canadian Cancer Society are blue and yellow.


Is there maybe some kind of border option I can do here??  I would really like to work the blue in here somewhere.  

  Attention all friends and/or Hookers - - - Please help me.  


14 comments:

  1. I thin a third color to go around what you have would be good because I do like what you have there so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is going to look spectacular Kim. The only way to find out is to start hooking the blue in the background and you'll soon find out wether it looks right or not. The dark blue looks black like you said on the computer but I think that the lighter blue still would work.

    I guess that it proves that you need a wee break from force thinking and the ideas comes on all by themselves. I love this pattern. JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim ~
    I am the absolute last person who could help you with color planning. Sorry :( I must say that your are becoming a real pro at hooking letters. They look phenomenal, girlfriend!!!
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok...I'm going out on a limb here - and am HORRIBLE at color planning....but, if the goal is to not rip out what you've done, how about use that dark blackish-blue for the background and work just a few stars into the background with the lighter blue you picked up? Ok....maybe not. What do I know....except nobody, but nobody, hooks letters better than you do....Yikes - now I don't wanna post pics of my cat rug (lack of) progress....my letters STINK. :o Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry I am not much to offer help, but I think it is a terrific idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The darker blue certainly makes the yellow pop... I kinda like what Cranky Crow suggested... continue the background with what you have, but add a couple of blue stars to the background.... maybe on the left border add 3?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would leave the outline as it is, but find some Nova Scotia tartan to finish with - that would pick up the yellow and dark lines, but add some brighter blues (the one you had in the picture was a bit too pale for my taste).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim I am not good at wonderful hooking but I love it the way it is! I know you need a special color and whatever you do will be great :) You have been hookin' up a storm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ummm...not that I have much experience with these matters...but I think I'd leave the dark blue. I like the suggestion of adding a plaid around it to pick up some yellow. I like the idea of the blue stars. Or how would it look to take the light blue and outline around the darker blue? I think if you replace the dark blue it's going to go flat. Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your idea is just great. I love how your colors right now just pop. Don't change a thing. It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would leave the dark blue around the yellow as an otline to the letters - just one row - and then use the lighter blue to fill in the rest. Maybe even mix it with another piece of blue in the same shade with some texture in it. I always mix one or two pieces of wool together in the same shade - just different pieces of wool that are close to the same shade. I just cut a bunch of strips from both pieces and then just hook them at random.

    Friends rug is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always make wonderful things so just go for it and it will be great! It looks great already!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kim, first of all, I don't know anything about this, but I think it's perfect. Are you planning to use the lighter blue for the background? I like the dark as the outline, but then close it up with the blue. I also wanted to say that I really love the sentiment. BELIEVE! So perfect. A wall hanging of that would be so beautiful. I really love watching you create!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I was more creative. I really like the look of the dark blue/almost black border of the stars. The believe is a wonderful sentiment for someone battling a sickness.

    ReplyDelete