Thursday, February 16, 2012

Chivalry is alive and well

I don't usually share a lot of details here about Mom's condition but this story is too cute not to share.  Today was Adult Day Care day.  I mentioned this before - there is an old fella there who has a bit of a crush on Mom.  It is just so cute.  He is 91 years old and he is always smiling at her or trying to sit beside her.   Some of the staff laugh because if he sees someone else going towards the empty seat by her, he shuffles a little faster to get there ahead.    But alas, Mom just ignores him - totally.  But he never gives up.


This afternoon when I arrived to pick her up, he is naturally seated beside her.  Mom is naturally looking in the opposite direction. LOL     Mom can't dress herself anymore and sometimes getting her to put her coat on is a challenge.  She won't bend her arms the right ways etc.   So one of the staff and I are struggling to get her coat on and before I know it - He jumps up (well, as much as a 91 year old can jump up).  He wants to help her.     Awwwww, how flippin sweet is that.......  Chivalry is alive and well at Day Care. 

Once the coat is on and she is ready to go he is saying "Goodbye Dear. Have a nice week and I'll see you soon" .  And Mom won't even look at him and she just says "Yeah, Whatever" 

Oh my goodness, I had to turn my head away.  I thought I might pee my pants laughing.    


21 comments:

  1. LOL! Oh my goodness that is such a sweet story. What a nice man. Love your mom's reaction too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how older folks have such lovely manners, don't you? What a sweet gentleman... Tell your mom she could at least give him a little wink or something! Ah... unrequited love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! How did you manage to not let him tag along? So very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the sweetest thing! Your Mom playing hard to get!! The fellows never too old to at least try!! Wonderful story!!!
    Hugs!
    Cathy G

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute, that cracks me up. Your mom is still a hoot. I am glad you got to see that today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute story she must remind him of some he loved once.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you are able to keep a sense of humor! sandie

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH my gosh. I remember you mentioning this man before. You tell your mom if she doesn't start paying attention to him someone else will grab him up. hahaha
    Toooooo cute...I can just see you laughing.
    Poor guy he is smitten
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely story Kim, I think your mom is playing hard to get! I have one word for you, DEPENDS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Yeah, whatever." How funny. Sound like my grandson.
    Hugs to you :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this cute story with us Kim. Your mom playing hard to get.

    My mom used to work in a nursing home as a nurse 's aid and would have some funny stories to tell about some seniors. Of course she would never give names. Some of the senile patients were quite a handful at times.

    Hugs, JB

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so sweet!!! I love your mom's response to him...I probably would've broken out laughing, so you're a far better person than I!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Obviously no mutual admiration there!
    But how sweet. Who knows, maybe he'll wear her down with all that kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, whatever? lol! I think the "hard to get" is what adds to his attraction to her! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a precious sweet story. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hilarious!!! Very sweet story - thank you for ending my work week on a sweet note! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's hard to be the "hottie" of the senior set! Doesn't it make you wonder what kids today who don't even open doors for girlfriends will be like when they are 91? Chivalry will really be dead then! Cute story! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG I am rolling on the floor laughing!! I had something hysterical happen with dad this week that I think I just might have to share!!
    Karen & the Hounds

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Kim, Isn't it nice to get a smile when you least expect it. Your writing is a gift , Hugs Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  20. 91 you say??? I wonder if he'll wait for me.... ;o) Never could resist a man with manners and charm. Love the story....And your mum....what a coat of armor she wears!! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete