Friday, February 10, 2012

Fun, Friends and Charity

Today was a wonderful day.  I told you the other day that there was a surprise in store for my friend Terri.  She is the one who organized tonight's event to raise money for Palliative Care in memory of her brother Tim.  This is the 4th year.

Well, a friend nominated her for the Maritimer of the Week Award, given to a someone who has made an outstanding contribution to their community.   It was so hard to keep the secret all week.  I hardly spoke or emailed her for days, so scared I might spill the beans.  I'm not sure what surprised her more - the award or the fact that so many of her friends could keep a secret. 

It was a great thing to be a part of and she is so deserving of recognition.  She is a very special person and that is why we all go the extra mile for her. We all chip in to help, donating to the silent auction, preparing food for sale.  Everything is donated.  The place was packed and there were lots of laughs and lots of bidding on the auction items.  I won't know the total tally until tomorrow, but when I left my rug was up to a $225 bid.  WooHoo!!    Our goal for the night was $5,000.  I think we might exceed that. 

Before I left she handed me a gift and a card.   A thank you for helping out.  I didn't need a thank you for helping a friend but it was very touching.




The feeling is mutual

12 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,Just got home I too had a good day. Your friend sounds like a good kind person. Hugs Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this whole story. Glad you are friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story. Congrats to your friend and I hope you do exceed the 5,000 goal. She's very lucky to have you as a friend...I feel blessed to have you as a blog friend! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim,
    How exciting that the event was so successful!! Your rug was a big hit and helped to exceed the goal!! Congratulations! It is so very heartwarming to see efforts of people like you and your wonderful friend helping others be successful!!
    Good job!!
    Hugs!
    Cathy G

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is super news about your rug! I'll bet you're tickled pink. I love the story of your friend. I'm glad you had a great evening!
    Hugs,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many hands make light work; I love reading examples, like yours, of people power. Awesome about your rug!!! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sweet. Life is so much better with good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kim, I didn't watch CTV Live At 5 last evening to see your friend Terri receive the Maritimer of the Year Award. I had the flu and went to work anyway but felt so weak that I let my husband finish off giving the hay to the bigger calves for me.
    I came home and went directly to bed- to the bathroom -to bed to...... You can still see it if you go CTV Live at 5 then go to Maritimer of the Week

    I saw it on the web however and was hoping to see you too.
    You are such a great supporter and your rugs will become such nice reminder of your support.

    Terri has turned a tragedy into something positive to keep her brother's memory alive. You are both inspiration to us.

    I'm feeling better and I'm having my first meal of the day Lipton Chicken Noodle soup. Hugs, JB

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet card! I echo the same thing, I wonder what I did too.
    Have a lovely day,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kim ~
    What a sweet sentiment. Girlfriends are the best.
    Your very generous rug donation is sure helping to reach (or surpass) the goal. What was the final bid?
    Pug hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome friend and award to her and awesome that your rug raised so much money!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad to hear the event was a success...and Woo Hoo!!! on your rug bids!! Sounds like some awesome friend power going on in those parts....Enjoy and embrace....Robin

    ReplyDelete