Sunday, May 4, 2014

We are becoming a zoo


I think our property is becoming a wildlife preserve.  But not a welcome one.  First there is my old "pal", the groundhog  who I have blogged about many times.  And let's not forget the skunks who have tormented me for 2 years now and I have blogged about many, many times.  Yes, I saw 2 of them a few weeks ago but not since.  They are probably waiting for me to drop my guard.  Arrgh !

Then a couple of weeks ago I started hearing this strange noise in the back yard.  I can only explain the sound as a cross between a giant, angry bullfrog that is croaking and growling at the same time.  Lol.  And a few days ago I discovered the source of this gawd awful sound.  A friggin pheasant has now taken up residence in the back yard ravine.


Do you see him?  He is a little camera shy although he was out in the open until I got out my phone.  I tried to get a little closer but he was getting skittish and to be honest.....I'm a little scared of him.  For some reason I think if I get too close he will attack me.  That seems like the kind of thing that would happen to me, right?   I can hardly wait to see what other woodland creature calls my yard home!  Not!!  And the worst part is, I don't live in the country.  I'm in the middle of town.

Other than that, it was a nice weekend.  Yesterday was sunny and warm so Auntie and I went for a nice drive to Parrsboro (and our favorite little shop). We picked up a few things, but mostly it was just nice to be out on a beautiful spring day.  Then we went out for a nice supper.  (In fact I've managed to go the entire weekend without cooking at all)

And I FINALLY got our taxes sent in today.  Nothing like cutting it close!  Tomorrow is the deadline.  Whew!  

Lastly, a hooking update.  I've been stuck for a few days.  First I couldn't decide what to start next.  Either I didn't have the right wool for one project, or the right size linen for another.  I had one lonely little end left and then I found inspiration in an unlikely place --- a paper napkin!   It was kind of a funky, abstract design and as soon as I saw it I thought it might make a good rug.


We will see what happens but I think it will be interesting (if nothing else)





11 comments:

  1. You must have a unicorn flying over your place...unicorn's are the patron saints of the lost, wayward, foundlings. Dave and I always said we had a unicorn here, we just couldn't see her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,
    Your rug looks like it is going to be a fun one. I hate when I don't have a project planned because I tend to dawdle and do nothing.
    I live in the city, too, and have a big problem with deer. They can wreak havoc in the gardens. We also have groundhog, possum, SKUNK (lots of them!) and the usual rabbits and squirrels. So happy I don't live in the country...lol!
    Glad you and Auntie had a good day.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so much wild life. I wonder if someone close to you raised pheasants?
    Well be careful with those skunks.
    I wouldn't want you or Millie to get perfumed. :) I like you new project it looks happy. I am so glad you had a nice day out. I am also really glad it is spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe your pheasant is looking for a girlfriend and then you will have a whole family of them. sounds like a lovely weekend and as always your colors are so wonderful.
    have a great week
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you had a fun weekend and no cooking. Spring time brings junk diggers and wild critters. There's always something to spoil your fun.

    I think that you need to find a trapper to rid yourself of these unwanted visitors.

    Keep us posted.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  6. You definitely are beginning to have a zoo in your back yard! Be careful of the skunks! I hope the week ahead is a good one for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about wayward creatures showing up. Happens all the time here, so we almost expect it. Today the black snake that seems to live in the front flower bed decided to eat the ceramic frogs on the porch. Well, they are lifelike, but a little too crunchy, I guess. The snake finally gave up, having moved the frogs around a bit (or a bite!) He tried to swallow each in turn. Snake with little brain, don't you think? Where was my camera? Glad your weekend was relaxing and no-cooking is always wonderful, if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to smile ~ as our yard is always full of creatures . I don't think I have seen the allusive "friggen pheasant" though lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate skunks! They tear up my yard and spray Eddy! I'd take fowl any day of the week! We get turkeys and deer and one big red fox who really just uses our yard as a pass through to the neighbor's chicken coop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are funny. I love critters. I can almost guarantee that the pheasant won't attack...almost.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always amazes me the wildlife in my in town back yard too.. A couple years ago i had a mama raccoon and 6 babes living in my old garage.. Was glad to see them go as they werent following my rules! Enjoy your day Kim!

    ReplyDelete