Thursday, August 25, 2011

5 Weasels and a Rainbow

Let's start at the beginning. 

I had the best sleep last night.  The window was wide open beside my bed and the cool breeze was gently blowing in.  It was a perfect sleeping night.  Just the right temperature. 

I was lying there this morning, barely conscious and thinking of how the feeling of the breeze blowing across my face reminded me of years ago napping on the deck of a sailboat, and how relaxed I was at the time, listening to the waves lap against the side of the boat, the smell of the fresh air. 

It was perfect.    I gently rolled over and glanced at the clock with half closed eyes - still in my delusional state of happiness........

7:50am.....................Nooooooooo it can't be.  I snatched up the clock for a closer look............



OMG   I have to be at work at 8:00am.   Holy Crap - I flew out of that bed like it was on fire.   Lets just say the next few minutes were not pretty.   There were clothes flying though the air,  a very confused dog on the edge of the bed,  2 quick swipes of eye liner and I was down the stairs.  I HATE being late for anything.  And when your day starts off late it has a ripple effect throughout the rest of the day.   I was all discombobulated.  I was all sixes and sevens.  (lol  Thanks Kim H) 

I'm not sure how I did it but I arrived at the office at 8:05am - disheveled but there.  And naturally today was Mom's day care.  So I again had to rush and leave work for 20 minutes around 10am to pick her up and deliver her.  There is a gentleman that attends as well, younger - not an Alzheimers patient but he has his own issues.  For privacy sake I will call him Tom. 

Tom has limited abilities but he always has a small story he wants to share when he arrives.  I love him, he is very sweet and I always try to make time for him.  But today, as you know, time was a bit of an issue for me.  His usual stories are brief -  "Did you see the tornado on the news? .......or Guess what - I saw a deer last night  etc.  

Not today - Today he was just back from a 3 day vacation with his family.  He had to tell us every single detail.  And sometimes he has trouble finding the right word - which extends the length of the story.    Oh dear,  I'm smiling and nodding and uh huh-ing , all the while going from foot to foot thinking  Come on, I have to get back to work.   Just when you think he is finished......he has another part and another part. 

I'm trying to listen and edge my way towards the door.  Now, I bet by now you are wondering what any of this has to do with the title for this post -  well I'm getting there.    Finally, he gets to the end - well I think it was the end because that is when I made my escape.   While he was on the ferry boat........He saw 5 weasels and a rainbow. 

Fifteen minutes later and several thousand of my shattered nerves and that my friends is the story.

11 comments:

  1. Great story, 5 weasels and a rainbow? I think really Kim, you have met a magic man. How very sweet.
    I had to laugh that you overslept. That is so funny. It must have been a wonderful sleep.

    See, doesn't feeling all sixes and sevens fit perfect?
    I am so glad you wrote it down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sleeping really well too. Must be the great air! That story is a riot. I really feel for you being late and extremely rushed like that. I'm a pretty early riser and right now such a nervous wreck about starting the new job that I really don't think I could oversleep...but check back in October...

    Thanks for the laugh! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gheesh I hate when I've overslept it messes up my whole day too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Kim, I hate running late. If I get behind and have to get somewhere in a hurry I also am frazzled.At least you slept well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kim, you are such a sweet heart even though you would rather have been back at work instead of listening to Tom... you've earned your wings today...

    I'm glad that you had a restful sleep to prepare you for what this day had in store for you. Let City Hall wait.

    Hugs. JB

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a prompt person - never have been. Now that I work from home it agrees with me because I no longer have those mad dashes in the morning. They're terrible and can ruin your day.
    I know it was terrible (again, I've been there) but how wonderful when it was all over that you were able to listen to a story from a sweet man about 5 weasels and a rainbow. That just doesn't happen every day - work can wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sure it wasn't 5 rainbows and a weasel??? ;o)) Now I'd be thinking the rest of the day why didn't I ask him about those weasels?!! But - awwww - your description of the oversleeping brought back anxiety attacks!! I HATE that! I started setting various alarms - but, inevitably, there would be a time every couple of years where that perfect sleep came and no room full of alarms would do the trick....And you're right - it messes up the entire day....(But sixes and sevens??? Huh? Think I'm a couple weasels short of catching on to that one....) Hope you have an awesome Friday!! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim ~
    I love to sleep, but HATE oversleeping. The day does get off to a bad start!
    What a great story. You are such a sweetie for listening.
    Pug hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok i am trying to picture the weasels... are you talking weasels as in mean people or the animals...???

    Thank you for your sweet comments on my post Monday!
    Leontien

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dear Kim first before I comment on your crazy day I have to tell you that I had the most beautiful surprise in my mail box this morning. OMGosh my Starfish Mat you made for me is beautiful beyond words.
    Kim I can not tell you how happy I am to have won your giveaway. This starfish is gorgeous and I have the prefect place for it.
    Sorry your day was so rough. I can not believe you made it to work that fast.lol
    Have a wonderful weekend
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  11. 5 weasels and a rainbow..great title for a children's book! When my window is open, and we've had more and more lovely, cool nights, I get awakened by the next door neighbor's rooster...my hubby's an early riser so he also reminds me that the hospital will expect me at the same time as the day before! That's why I love Sat...sleeping in!

    ReplyDelete