Saturday, July 2, 2011

Preparing and waiting

I am waiting and since you all know how impatient I am - you can imagine my state!

My favorite people are en route from Vermont to spend a month with us at the beach.  Mary and Tom (aka Nanny and Poppy) have been family friends since forever.    Although not through blood, they are family.  The kind of family you choose.  I grew up every summer with their 6 children and they all consider me their baby sister.  At least 3 of the 6 kids and their families are planning to come and spend a few days here before the month ends.

At the age of 80+ Nanny and Poppy still drive themselves here.  I won't relax until they arrive tomorrow morning.  I just got a message that they have stopped in a hotel for the night and tomorrow will only have another 4 hours to drive.   I have my car packed with extra blankets, lawn chairs and a starter grocery order for their first few days.  When they get here tomorrow I will follow them to the cottage and unpack both our cars and get them settled.   Sooooo excited to see them!

We had a great Canada Day holiday yesterday.  The weather was perfect, as was the BBQ and the Bud Light Limes.   I spent a lot of the day outside in the sun and even got a little color on those super white legs.   The only glitch in the day was the massive downpour that started about a half hour before the fireworks were scheduled to start.  The rain didn't let up so they were cancelled and rescheduled to the August 1st long weekend.    For all my American friends - I hope your July 4th celebration is as great as my holiday was.

And now I need a little help.  I finally picked up my hook again and got back to the funky flower I started weeks ago.  It felt great to get back hooking.  It's hard this time of year so every once in awhile I need a nudge.    Now I have almost all of the rug hooked except I have no idea what to do with what is left.   Help me...... please
This was one of those projects that was great in my mind but now I'm not loving it.  But I want to get it finished so I can move on.  I don't need another unfinished project.   

Soooo, friendly helpful hookers..........what do I do with the left edge and corner??

12 comments:

  1. OH Kim, it is so pretty, Don't ask me I am terrible with this kind of stuff. I love it you have to finish it, I just love the turquoise. It adds so much to the design.
    I hope you have a wonderful time with you friends. I hope you have lots of sunshine.
    I planted more sunflowers today. This is the third time this year. Not a good year I have never had to do this before.
    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with her, no idea, but it sure is pretty, Kim.

    Enjoy your 'family' & relaxation.

    May her flag fly high & proud forever over this great land ... may God see the changes we need & grant us that blessing.

    Happy 4th, sweetie.

    TTFN ~
    Hugs,
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim, I'm all excited for you as you prepare for your visitors. What a thoughtful person you are to get them some grocery and blankets and things that they will need for the cottage. I hope that you have a real swell time with them.

    I love your Zentangle pattern. It looks like a fun rug. I'm usually a friendly helpful hooker but I'm not sure if you would like my choice of colors. I would fill the space with the color that you got in that thin line and then on the next space I would use a darker shade of the same color and in the last space an even darker color. I don't know if that's what you got in mind. You should invest in some colored pencils and color your design to see what woks best.

    I hope that your visitors arrives safely. Hugs. JB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kim, I hope you have a great time with your friends. I like the new blog back ground. I am not sure what you should do with your rug.It looks good!Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like heaven!! Cottage/cabin and time with old friends...truly hope you enjoy! As for your ruglet...Love the colors...But, argghhh, Girl...you cut me to the quick...I'm not so good at color planning...that's why I have my Cathy!....Anywhohow, if you want my 2 cents - which is probably not worth even 1/2 of cent Canadian, I'd pull the colors from the bottom right - putting the browny tweed in the larger space and the rusty deep red in the smaller space...and uh...maybe the turquoise or bright red in the teeny tiny space?? Definitely not my forte though!!! Enjoy your together time!! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, I hope your "family" is there and all safe and you are loaded up and thinking about being on your way to your beach house! What a lovely summer kind of thing to do. The beach, the water, the FOOD and most of all being with people you love to be with. I can only imagine the laughter. Kim, I am no hooker, that is for sure but I would use the orange color you used in the small circles just outside what you have hooked and then use the sky blue color in the delicate curly cute line and then orange again. My two cents for what it ain't worth :) Or maybe the sky blue color just outside your finished part then the orange and the sky blue! Arrrrggggggggggg! I love the sky blue color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don;t know what to do with your corner - but I know what to do on your vacation - have fun - leave the worries and stress at home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How strange Kim I was just wondering a few minutes ago what you were doing today and then you appear on my site. lol
    Need to think of you more often I guess..haha
    Anyway I loved reading this post about your family coming to see you. I too have friends like this in my life and have always thought of them as family.
    Wish wish I could be with you guys on the beach sounds like a dream
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, Kim! Thanks for commenting on my blog. Hope you and yours have a wonderful 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kim ~
    How wonderful your "family" is coming for a visit and the fact that they can still come in their 80's makes it extra special.
    I suck at color planning, but I think I would pull the browns and rust from the bottom right corner. Keep on hookin' and show us what you decided to do.
    Pug hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great time at the cabin, spending it with dear friends. How great that they are still able to come at their age. Enjoy your time with them and make great memories.
    As for the rug, I really like it. I think the finish needs to be dark but the colors are up to you. Let us see what you do.
    I think Julia's idea of colored pencils is great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow those look great. do you sell those?

    ReplyDelete